Colin Milner is CEO of the International Council on Active Aging and founder of the active-aging industry in North America. Milner is also a leading authority on the health and well-being of the older adult, and has been recognized by the World Economic Forum as one of “the most innovative and influential minds” in the world on aging-related topics.
In 2010, CanFitPro Association awarded Milner with its Lifetime Achievement Award for his contributions to the Canadian fitness industry. His efforts have many seeking his insights. Among these are: CNN, BBC, ABC, Newsweek, Wall Street Journal, NY Times.
Colin started at $4 an hour as a fitness instructor.
- Before ICAA what were you doing? What was the trigger for you? The, I’m both feet in, I’m jumping, someone’s got to do it and it has to be me… moment?
- How has your work changed? How has it evolved?
- Is this what you imagined when you started it?
- What do you expect to change – decline and/or grow in the future?
- What kind of sessions will trainers and health coaches find the upcoming ICAA events to help them expand their skills?
We tease some of the content and speakers at the upcoming ICAA conference.
Key Points in this episode:
- Definition is changing and it’s less about absence of disease and more about improvement of function
- The most necessary shift: Your own thinking
- The need for personalization is a key priority.
- Genetic testing, wearables and monitoring devices, artificial intelligence.
- Keeping them healthy so they don’t have to see the doctor for illness.
- What skills do you need as a trainer
- Understand the tools you’re using
- Integrate with other experts better for epigenetics, genetic testing
- How to get better results and prove the results.
- Former surgeon general Ken Smith talking about wearables 3.0 looking at what’s happening inside of your body
- The active aging market isn’t a special population but they are special:½ people in US are over 5050% of consumer spendingspend $400 billion more than any other age cohortincreased disposable income from 50 to 70%
They are one of THE populations
Active Aging Week theme: “Inspiring Wellness”
- increasing awareness
- bringing in more people
Register as a host site
It’s all Free!!
Get creative with activities that you can host, support, whether in wellness, fitness, or nutrition.
Upcoming Annual International Council on Active Aging Conference:
Long Beach CA
17thpreconference: Falls/Fall reduction, Nutrition/protein and healthy aging/ID nutritional risk/malnutrition
Link to the conference details: